Monday, November 08, 2004

embedded ethernet

OK.. I started out my blogging experience talking about embedded ethernet, now I think it is time to revisit this interest of mine. there is an add on the inside cover of this months Nuts and Volts magazine that has a web server (hardware) for $29. for the LIFE OF ME, I can not figure out who sells it and I'm just to impatiant to wait to get home see what the URL is. so, in my google quest, I run across Freescale Semiconductor. I read about them over the weekend, and just ignored one of their new release notes, that said they have an entire network enabled processor in a single package that does EVERYTHING for $8 (in bulk). now that sounds pretty interesting. I Just wish I"d heard of this freescale before so I could have more faith in the product.

so.. I'm going to read more about MC9S12NE64CPV and the datasheet can be found HERE. for a few hundred dollars the evaluation/development kit may actually be realy fun to play with. if so I know what my christmas present will be.

*update*
The freescale chip is a tad complicated. its a full blown uP which is cool, but I think i'd have to write my own protocol implementation which would suck.

I FINALLY found the $29 device I was thinking of.. this implementation is a tad on the senior project side, but interesting none the less. check out siteplayer.com or a review on linuxdevices.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

so is that what you want for christmas? or b-day?

Anonymous said...

Freescale Semiconductor is the Motorola Semiconductor spin-off. They aren't going anywhere so you should contact a sales rep and get some samples!

k2h said...

re: gunzz
I'm in nevada. Your question threw me for a loop there for a second since I've been trying to stay faily vague on the blog as to not attract attention from the superiours. I like to grip and complain on the blog as an outlet so I really do my best to not get specific. I really do not want to put the company in a bad light.

I love my job, I 'love' the people I work with, and I really enjoy engineering. at times I think the author of the dilbert comic strip works in the same cube that I do so it can get depressing to read your life in the sunday comics.

ahhh.. but I figured out my mistake. a straight cut and paste from the EMS system reveals that one of the classes was indeed GE102, yup.. now the secrets out. I work for GE.

one of my favorite pick up lines, well more of a conversation starter since I'm married is "do you own a GE washer/dryer?" I find about 50/50 satisfaction wtih it. my own personal survey... and no, I don't work for that division..

... i'll find something else to ramble about now.... thanks for reading.